Saturday 6 August 2011

Batch #4 - with chilli, fennel herb, carrot and red, white and spring cabbage

OK - this week I am trying something a little new (to me anyways): spicy sauerkraut! For this one I used:

Ingredients:

1 white cabbage
1 red cabbage
1 spring cabbage
6 carrots
1 big clove of garlic
1 chilli
2.5 tablespoons of sea salt (all the veg came to 2.5 kg)





Method:

Shred cabbage, finely chop garlic and chilli and grate the carrots - mix together.












I chopped and mixed in the chilli separately to stop myself unexpectedly burning my eye with chilli juice, but you can do it all at once if, unlike me, you are able to remember to wash you hands afterwards....









Crush, until the brine starts to form, then leave for 20 or so mins to draw out extra brine. Remember to sterilise your jars!












Stuff into jars and wait a couple of weeks!












No comments:

Post a Comment