Wednesday 13 April 2011

Fermented vegetables Batch #1 - Pickles with raw cider vinegar

And here is my first post of a batch of fermented cucumbers! For this one you will need:

Ingredients:

1 cucumber
1 small clove of garlic
salt water, using a concentration of 1 tablespoon of sea salt for every 500 ml of water
dill
1 tablespoon of raw cider vinegar






Steps

Slice cucumber and remove seeds and roughly chop garlic.

Place ingredients in jar and add salt water
Cover and store at room temperature for 4 days or more!
After 6 days fermenting
Well, this worked a treat, and the kids loved it (they had one each already)! I left these for six days and the image above was taken just after they were opened. They tasted very nice - I felt they tasted a bit too much of the cider vinegar, but Ellie (clever wife) said it was lovely as it was and she is known for having a far better palette than I!

Give it a shot and let me know if it worked for you!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this!!! So simple. I will let you know how it turns out.

    I'm in the process of making your sauerkraut as we speak. Waiting for the jars to sterilize.

    Should I sterilize the jar for these pickles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello AlexisMM, glad you are trying the kraut, let me know how it works out for you!

    Yes, I tend to sterilise the jars before fermenting anything. In theory you shouldn't need to do this, but in practice I find it makes for more consistent and better results. All I do is pour recently boiled water down the inside of the jar and the lid, pour it out and let it cool for a minute.

    ReplyDelete